While reporting directly to the Tax Compliance Manager, the incumbent will work directly with Tax Compliance Team Lead in order to provide proactive support to the Tax Operations and IT/Programming Departments with relation to agency compliance. Tax Compliance Specialist is primarily responsible for all on going agency maintenance for assigned jurisdictions, as well as provide compliance updates and information to IT in a thorough and timely fashion to allow IT to program compliance related updates to PTM’s system. During Quarter End (QE), Tax Compliance Specialist will be responsible for all QE prep, filings, and resolve issues for assigned jurisdictions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Setup new tax jurisdictions, and make updates to existing agencies at the client level.
2. Ensure that assigned states are in compliance regarding account numbers, POAs, payments, filings, and any mandates from the agencies.
3. Initiate IRS/State/Local returns and payments.
4. Thorough research of assigned jurisdictions from initial setup in the system to filing year-end returns and W2s.
5. Provide assistance with further automation of the PTM system with regards to filing of payments, coupons, reconciliation returns and W2’s.
6. On an ongoing basis, will be responsible for researching any compliance issues; research the problem and work out a resolution with all necessary parties.
7. Will be required to spot-check and audit QE returns, Client QE packages and Mag Media files for accuracy and adherence to compliance requirements.
8. Can be called upon to audit client and agency setup information and inquiry responses, as they may pertain to potential compliance issues.
9. Assist with department auditing
10. Will be required to do some administrative duties, complete projects and miscellaneous duties as assigned by management
Knowledge of the payroll tax filing process including Federal, State and Local taxes, Quarterly and Annual Reconciliations, as well as proactively mitigating against IRS, State, and Local agency inquiries. Excellent organizational skills are a must.
A Compliance Specialist will typically have at least 2 years of related experience, comprising of tax processing, inquiry resolution, and tax customer service. Prior experience in compliance and/or auditing is highly desired. The incumbent will be able to multi-task in a customer service environment, have advanced oral & written communication skills, and knowledge of PC applications for project management.