- The first ever TV dinner was made in 1953 by Swanson when they had about 260 tons of leftover turkey to get rid of.
- The Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving Day. This tradition started in 1934. The only exception was when the team went to serve in WWII.
- Sarah Josepha Hale, a magazine editor, started a campaign in 1827 to make Thanksgiving a national day of thanks and prayer. In 1863 it was observed as such.
- In an effort to boost retail sales during the Great Depression, Franklin Roosevelt tried to make Thanksgiving a week earlier. His efforts failed and after two years and a lot of name calling, Congress adopted a resolution to make Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday of November.
- Benjamin Franklin tried to make the turkey the national bird.
- A spooked turkey can run at speeds of up to 20 miles per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds.
- An estimated 20% of cranberries eaten throughout the year are consumed on Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving was declared a National Holiday by Congress 1941.
- Fossil evidence shows that turkeys roamed the Americas 10 million years ago.
- The North American holiday season (generally the Christmas shopping season in the U.S.) traditionally begins when Thanksgiving ends, on “Black Friday” (the day after Thanksgiving); this tradition has held forth since at least the 1930s.
Tired of Payroll Tax Management Risk & Headaches?
Leave the payment of your payroll taxes to us – we stay on top of 11,000+ taxing agencies throughout the US and Canada so you don't have to, and we have special expertise in multistate payroll tax payments and compliance.
- FlexTax Software
Automate & Streamline Your Payroll Tax Processing with FlexTax® Software
FlexTax software is an innovative concept in payroll tax processing that allows you access to a comprehensive online system and gives you the flexibility and benefits of in-house payroll tax processing.
FlexTax Software Options:
Need Help with Payroll Tax Management?
You've come to the right place. We stay on top of 11,000+ taxing agencies throughout the US and Canada so you don't have to, and here are some resources to help alleviate your headaches.
Payroll Tax Management Resources:
- About PTM
Who Is Payroll Tax Management?
PTM provides payroll tax expertise and compliance with over 11,000 tax agencies, stellar customer service, competitive rates and fees, a multi-million dollar crime bond, SOC 1 audits, and scalable technology. Our tax systems offer clients ease of use and logical solutions to the hassles of payroll tax processing.
Learn More about PTM: