- The first ever TV dinner was made in 1953 by Swanson when they had about 260 tons of leftover turkey to get rid of.
- The Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving Day. This tradition started in 1934. The only exception was when the team went to serve in WWII.
- Sarah Josepha Hale, a magazine editor, started a campaign in 1827 to make Thanksgiving a national day of thanks and prayer. In 1863 it was observed as such.
- In an effort to boost retail sales during the Great Depression, Franklin Roosevelt tried to make Thanksgiving a week earlier. His efforts failed and after two years and a lot of name calling, Congress adopted a resolution to make Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday of November.
- Benjamin Franklin tried to make the turkey the national bird.
- A spooked turkey can run at speeds of up to 20 miles per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds.
- An estimated 20% of cranberries eaten throughout the year are consumed on Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving was declared a National Holiday by Congress 1941.
- Fossil evidence shows that turkeys roamed the Americas 10 million years ago.
- The North American holiday season (generally the Christmas shopping season in the U.S.) traditionally begins when Thanksgiving ends, on “Black Friday” (the day after Thanksgiving); this tradition has held forth since at least the 1930s.
Tired of Payroll Tax Management Risk & Headaches?
If so, consider outsourcing the payment of your payroll taxes to us – we stay on top of 11,000+ taxing agencies throughout the US and Canada so you don't have to, and we have special expertise in multi-state payroll tax payments and compliance.
PTM Outsourcing Services:
- FlexTax Software
Automate & Streamline Your Payroll Tax Processing with FlexTax® Software
FlexTax software is an innovative concept in payroll tax processing that allows you access to a comprehensive online system and gives you the flexibility and benefits of in-house payroll tax processing.
FlexTax Software Options:
- About PTM
Who Is Payroll Tax Management?
PTM provides payroll tax expertise and compliance with over 11,000 tax agencies, stellar customer service, competitive rates and fees, a multi-million dollar crime bond, SSAE 18 audits, and scalable technology. Our tax systems offer clients ease of use and logical solutions to the hassles of payroll tax processing.
Learn More about PTM: